A fire broke out and destroyed two homes in New Eagle after police said a man was burning weeds with a propane torch in his yard and went back inside.
A neighbor who saw the fire on First Avenue alerted homeowner Randy Leach, who tried to put the fire out with a garden hose.
One of the homes, which is used for storage and recreation and was unoccupied, burned to the ground. The fire spread to their other house next door. "The homeowner was burning weeds with a torch and went inside," New Eagle Fire Chief Paul Pro said. "And the next thing you know, the structure next to his house that he lives was on fire."
Both homes were destroyed, though no one was hurt. Randy and Carole got out safely with their dogs.
"We lost everything," Carole said. "Thankful that me and my husband got out with our dog and my dad's dog got out too."