A Fairbanks home was damaged Tuesday night after a fire, which started outside, crept up the wall and spread to the roof. No one was injured.
The University Fire Department got a call at 7:36 p.m. about a fire in a two-story house on Tolovana Drive, a side street off Wood River Drive, department chief Doug Schrage said. The roof was engulfed and smoke was coming out gable vents on all sides when firefighters arrived.
"There was no fire inside the living spaces, but heavy fire in the roof, which had extended across the structure," he said.
Firefighters were on scene about three hours and contained the fire to the roof.
Based on preliminary investigation, there's evidence that discarded smoking materials such as cigarettes ignited the fire outside the home and that it reached the roof after spreading up a wall, Schrage said.