Alaska State Fire Marshal's Office: Carbon Monoxide is silent, but deadly

  • Source: Delta Wind
  • Published: 01/18/2019 01:41 AM

With the beginning of the new year what better time to replace the batteries in your Carbon Monoxide (CO) detectors. Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless gas, and contributes to a high rate of Alaskan resident deaths. Due to the cold climate Alaskans depend heavily on combustion heat (wood, fuel oil, and natural gas) to stay warm during the winter months. Combustion heating increases the risk of CO exposure. The Alaska State Fire Marshal’s Office warns that household appliances such as furnaces, stoves, hot water heaters, and grills can emit dangerous carbon monoxide gas. To prevent poisoning, install battery-operated carbon monoxide detectors on every level of your home and near every sleeping area and check them regularly to ensure that they are functioning properly. The symptoms of CO poisoning can be difficult to detect, and are often mistaken for other illnesses. Carbon monoxide can accumulate in indoor spaces, usually as the result of faulty combustion heating and exhaust systems.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe