VIDEO: A feed store caught fire in Cave Creek early Monday morning, sparking evacuations at a nearby apartment complex. It's happening at the Black Mountain Feed and Tack on Cave Creek Road west of School House Road (north of the Cave Creek Museum). The call went out at about 3:30 a.m. "When we arrived, we did find a fully involved structure, including the hay bales underneath the canopy out there," Shawn Gilleland of the Rural Metro Fire Department explained.
The store stocks hay, which is what's fueling the fire. Gilleland said spontaneous combustion can happen with hay bales and mulch piles. "It is common that we have stuff like this," he said. He also said that it's too early to know if that's what happened.
Rural Metro called in crews from Phoenix and Scottsdale to assist.