Spark Ignites Fumed-Filled Apartment Causing Small Explosion in San Diego

  • Source: KNSD-TV NBC San Diego
  • Published: 07/18/2019 05:10 PM

A spark in a North Park apartment unit filled with fumes created a small but booming flash explosion that burned one man and caused a small fire. Officials said two men were priming the apartment when a spark, possibly from a wall heater, ignited the fumes at around 11:30 a.m. The workers said they had exhaust fans running but they apparently weren't strong enough to ventilate the apartment. One of the workers suffered burns on his legs and elbow but was not hospitalized. He told NBC 7 he shut a door behind him during the explosion, and thinks that if it weren't for the door he might not be alive. A woman who lives in the apartment directly above where the explosion happened said she's never been so startled in her life. "I was laying in bed, scrolling through my phone and next thing I hear is ‘BOOOM!’ Like the loudest boom I’ve ever heard in my life," Kelly Gatson said. When asked how startled she was on a scale of 1 to 10, "I was like an 11," she said.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe