Dozens of people were forced to evacuate their homes in Rocky Hill earlier today after a gas leak.
It was a close call at Westage condominiums Thursday afternoon.
The Rocky Hill Fire Department was called to the area along Carillon Drive for reports of the strong smell of gas in the air around 4 p.m. Fire officials quickly determined a construction crew hit a gas line while working.
Residents had to stand outside their homes as the gas leak caused 8 buildings -- containing 32 homes -- to be evacuated.
Pam Martin said she came home from work to find her usually quiet apartment complex blocked off by the fire department.
“I was a little scared because I do have animals at home, a couple parrots and cats and more worried for their safety and if they were ok,” Martin said.