Residents and four dogs escaped after an explosion led to the partial collapse of a home and a fire on Saturday morning, fire officials said.
At 7:20 a.m., the Stamford 911 dispatch center got a call from a Woodbine Road resident, reporting that a house next door had exploded and was on fire, according to Deputy Fire Chief John Pritchard.
The caller said two people and multiple pets were in the home and trying to get out.
The Stamford Fire Department’s Engine No. 8 was the first on the scene and found heavy smoke but no visible flames coming from 105 Woodbine Road, Pritchard said.
He said as units investigated further, they noticed the house had “partially collapsed in multiple areas and the structure had shifted off of its foundation.”
“The force of the explosion essentially blew the fire out and little extinguishment efforts were necessary,” Pritchard said.