E-bike fire doused by firefighters in Norwich; battery blamed

  • Source: WFSB-TV CBS 3 Hartford
  • Published: 09/15/2023 12:00 AM

Firefighters responded to an e-bike fire in the Taftville section of Norwich early Friday morning. Taftville Fire Co. #2 said it was sent to the Lofts at Ponemah Mills on Norwich Avenue. When firefighters arrived, they found the smoldering e-bike in an outdoor rack. The fire was quickly extinguished. Firefighters said they determined that the battery pack had overheated. One nearby vehicle was damaged from the lithium ion battery pack exploding during the overheating process, they said. Due to the report of the ebike being near a building, a structural fire response was dispatched and included the Occum Fire Department and a Norwich engine. However, firefighters said the response was downgraded. They said the Norwich fire marshal's office and Norwich police were investigating the fire.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and DailyDispatch.com. (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe