A space heater is being blamed for a camper fire that killed a 67-year-old man over the weekend in Taliaferro County.
The fire happened at about 9 a.m. Saturday on Saggus Road in Crawfordville and is believed to be accidental.
Georgia Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner John F. King said authorities are awaiting positive identification of the victim from the Georgia Bureau of Investigation crime lab.
“Working with the Taliaferro County Sheriff’s Office and the Taliaferro County Fire Department, we believe this fire was caused by a space heater in the camper,” King said.
This marks the 67th death from a Georgia fire in 2021.
The year’s 66th fire death in the state also happened in the CSRA.
The fire at the 762-foot, 22-year-old wood-frame dwelling was blamed on multiple extension cords and power strips being used in the home.