Camper fire claims life of 67-year-old man in Taliaferro County

  • Source: WRDW-TV CBS 12 Augusta
  • Published: 06/08/2021 12:00 AM

A space heater is being blamed for a camper fire that killed a 67-year-old man over the weekend in Taliaferro County. The fire happened at about 9 a.m. Saturday on Saggus Road in Crawfordville and is believed to be accidental. Georgia Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner John F. King said authorities are awaiting positive identification of the victim from the Georgia Bureau of Investigation crime lab. “Working with the Taliaferro County Sheriff’s Office and the Taliaferro County Fire Department, we believe this fire was caused by a space heater in the camper,” King said. This marks the 67th death from a Georgia fire in 2021. The year’s 66th fire death in the state also happened in the CSRA. The fire at the 762-foot, 22-year-old wood-frame dwelling was blamed on multiple extension cords and power strips being used in the home.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe