VIDEO: It it the time of year when house fires increase sparked by things like space heaters and electrical overloads. Fire officials say now is a good time to make sure smoke detectors are working properly to help keep you and your family safe.
Two families in the Chattahoochee Valley lost everything in two separate house fires this week. One happening in Columbus, the other in Phenix City.
When News Leader 9 went to both homes, the victims were devastated. Both fires ended similar, everyone making it out alive, but the homes are destroyed.
“Every time I try, something happens, I give up,” said Cynthia Godwin as she looked at what’s left of the home she lived in for almost 3 years. The home on Kent Avenue in Phenix City went up in flames around 6 p.m. Tuesday. Godwin and her three grandsons were inside at the time.