U.S. Customs and Border Protection personnel Thursday were inspecting a fishing boat at Pier 16 when a neglected stove apparently caught fire, leading to a spectacular blaze.
Honolulu firefighters, with the help of a tugboat crew, managed to bring the fire aboard the St. Peter under control in an hour and 20 minutes, and extinguished it in two hours.
At 2:11 p.m. the U.S. Coast Guard said that “the vessel appears to be stable.” During their inspection, U.S. Customs and Border Protection personnel “asked the crew to muster on the pier when a stove burner was reportedly left on in the galley, presumably causing the fire,” the Coast Guard said.
The Coast Guard received a report from Harbor Patrol at 1:30 p.m. that the St. Peter commercial fishing vessel was on fire at Pier 16.
No injuries were reported, authorities said.
However, crew members are unable to live aboard the American-flagged vessel, so they were relocated to sister ships in the same fleet, which had extra room and were moored in the harbor, the Coast Guard said.
A mother of three was inside her Maui Meadows home when it suddenly caught on fire Wednesday morning.
The Benetiz family tells KHON2 they started their day like any other. Nef went to work, the kids went to school, and mom stayed at home.
The family had been renting a portion of the house on Kehala Drive since July 2018.
It was around 11 a.m. when Nef’s wife heard something upstairs.
"All of a sudden, she started hearing all these weird noises in the ceiling,” Nef Benetiz said.
Shortly after, she heard an explosion and walked outside to see flames coming from upstairs.
Benetiz said she quickly ran back inside to grab important documents.
"She went down to the propane tank and shut it off,” he said.
Benetiz said she quickly ran to the back cottage where she thought she’d be safe, but the fire spread quickly and she started yelling for help.
KHON-TV FOX 2