Honolulu Fire Department Captain provides fire safety recommendations following Waikiki deadly blaze

  • Source: KITV ABC 4 Honolulu
  • Published: 09/14/2023 12:00 AM

VIDEO: A three-alarm building fire in a two-story apartment building on Sunday at 1829 Kaioo Dr. in Waikiki was ruled accidental, according to police. Two people were found dead in their second story unit and two other occupants on the first floor were injured as a result of the blaze. The cause of the fire was reportedly due to arcing. Fire Captain Jeffrey Roache with the Honolulu Fire Dept. told KITV4, "When you see arcing, you're talking about a spark, usually caused by overheating which overloads the circuit - by overloading the circuit or conductor, when the overheating goes on, it can lead to ignition." Highly recommended fire safe habits and best practices when dealing with (electric) cords include pulling them by the plug itself, not by the cord, also checking for wear.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and DailyDispatch.com. (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe