Cherokee apartment building a total loss after Saturday fire; family displaced

  • Source: Sioux City Journal
  • Published: 02/11/2018 02:11 AM

A Saturday morning apartment fire left one Cherokee family displaced. Cherokee Fire Chief Greg Eaton said the department was called to a fire at 430 W Cherry Street after 9 a.m. Saturday morning. Crews remained at the scene into Saturday evening, "keeping an eye on it, and protecting the surrounding structures." Eaton said the building had four apartments in it, but there was only one family living in it at the time of the fire. The building is considered a total loss. The family was able to get out of the building safely, and the Cherokee emergency management coordinator was able to find them temporary shelter. The fire began in the attic of unknown causes, Eaton said. That location made the blaze even tougher to fight.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe