A Fort Dodge man suffered burns and smoke inhalation when a fire gutted a trailer home Thursday morning.
He was treated at UnityPoint Health — Trinity Regional Medical Center and was released. He was not identified by firefighters.
A second person who was in the home at 1338 Third Ave. N.W., Lot 73, escaped unharmed. A cat died in the fire.
The blaze sent flames shooting out of the north side of the trailer. Some siding on the trailer to the north was melted.
A section of Third Avenue Northwest was closed to traffic while firefighters worked at the scene.
The fire was reported at 9 a.m.
Fire Chief Steve Hergenreter said the blaze started while the man was trying to thaw out frozen pipes. Some combustible material near the pipes ignited, he said.
Wind fanned the flames, he added.
”The wind was pushing it right into and through the trailer,” he said.