VIDEO: With Thanksgiving a week away, people are starting to prepare for their turkey dinners.
Besides using an oven, turkey fryers have been a popular choice. However, Waterloo Fire and Rescue is warning everyone to be cautious.
During this time of year, the department said they get multiple calls of turkey frying gone wrong. Therefore, they're offering tips to try and prevent more accidents from happening.
According to Battalion Chief, Bill Beck, the most common mistake to make is not thawing out your turkey completely before putting it in the fryer. If there is any trace of ice, the mixture of water and grease can cause a grease fire, as well as a hug explosion.