VIDEO: Around 7:30 p.m. last Friday night, the Council Bluffs Fire Department got the call that two children were trapped in a house fire near Lincoln Park.
"That's a once in a lifetime call, a once in a career call," said Fire Chief Justin James.
He said when crews arrived to the home, heavy smoke was coming out of the upstairs apartment. That's where brothers Jameson Haas and Ezekiel Adkins were trapped inside.
"You're looking for a needle in the haystack in the dark and you're on a timer," James said.
Firefighters found three-year-old James in the bathroom and one-year-old Ezekiel in the next room.
"It's not easy to find a child that's twenty inches long, inside a burning building where you can't see your hand in front of your face and everything is starting to fall down," he said.
The chief said in just thirty minutes the fire was out and the children were rescued and at the hospital.