Idaho News
CHANGE STATE

Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Public reception set for retiring Idaho Falls Fire Chief


Idaho Falls Fire Chief Dave Hanneman will formally retire from the post on May 3, but a public reception is scheduled Tuesday from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at the Waterfront in Snake River Landing. Hanneman joined the Idaho Falls Fire Department in October 2014. He started his career 36 years ago with the Cole-Collister Fire District in Boise. He joined the Boise Fire Department in 1988 and attained the rank of Deputy Chief. He served as Chief for the City of Chula Vista in southern California before his move to Idaho Falls. According to a Fire Department news release, Chief Hanneman successfully upgraded the City of Idaho Falls' ISO rating to a Class 2. IFFD is one of only two departments in the state of Idaho to have achieved this. The Class 2 rating has a direct impact on lowering insurance premiums for property owners in Idaho Falls.
KIDK/KXPI LocalNews8.com

Construction worker rescued from trench in Caldwell


A construction worker was taken by air ambulance to a local hospital Monday morning after getting hit by a bucket that fell off a tractor into a trench, according to the Caldwell Fire Department. The report of the incident came in at about 9:20 a.m. near the intersection of Santa Ana Avenue and Ustick Road. Either water or sewer lines were being installed when a bucket detached from a tractor and injured a construction worker in the approximately 20-foot deep trench, said Caldwell Fire Chief Mark Wendelsdorf. The bucket had to be removed from the trench before the man was rescued, though Wendelsdorf did not know if that meant the man was pinned by the bucket, or if it was only preventing him from getting out. The Nampa Fire Department’s ladder truck was used and acted as a rigging system to get the injured man out.
Nampa Idaho Press-Tribune

Crews respond to house fire in Lewiston


Three Lewiston fire engines and a Clarkston engine responded when the top floor of an unoccupied multilevel home caught fire Monday on the 1400 block of Eighth Street in Lewiston. Lewiston firefighters responded at about 3 p.m. to the fire directly across from Webster Elementary School. Firefighters entered the home’s top level, where an apartment was located, and created a ventilation hole in the roof, Fire Chief Travis Myklebust said. The fire ignited further, and the firefighters withdrew to avoid injury, including one firefighter who was near a flashpoint. “It basically flashed up there,” Myklebust said. “There was not an injury, not a lick of damage to his protective equipment. According to his training and expertise, he did exactly what he should have.” Crews re-entered and knocked down the fire in about an hour.
Lewiston Tribune


Monday, April 22, 2019

Boise County family shares inspirational Easter message after their home burns down


VIDEO: A Boise County family is getting ready to spend the Easter holiday without a home after a fire destroyed their house just two days before the holiday. In the face of tragedy, they're keeping their hopes and spirits high and sharing an inspirational Easter message. The Beggs family was planning on hosting a special Easter dinner for their loved ones on Saturday night. "I was so excited for it, but God had other plans," Jill Beggs said. Instead, Jill and Kyle Beggs and their three sons are spending Saturday in a Boise hotel. "This is my home burning down behind me, but God gives us courage and comfort and we're all alive, even though my house is gone," Jill said. The fire happened on Friday afternoon, completely destroying the home. Fortunately, Jill and her sons weren't home when the blaze started.
KTVB

Obituary: Former Timberlake Fire District Commissioner, Robert George Schaff


Robert George Schaff, age 60, passed away at home Friday, April 12, 2019, surrounded by family and friends, after a courageous battle with cancer. Bob was born Nov. 12, 1958, to George and Donna (Adams) Schaff in Cottonwood, and graduated from Orofino High School in 1977. He joined the U.S. Army National Guard and served as a recruiter and explosives/tactical weapons engineer until 1984. He later worked as a self-employed carpenter, an electrical apprentice and as a Clearwater County sheriff’s reserve deputy with a specialty in diving. Following another passion, he studied pre-nursing at North Idaho College prior to starting a career at Kootenai Health in IT management. Bob worked at Kootenai Health for more than 26 years, most recently implementing the emergency communication systems.
Lewiston Tribune

Man treated for smoke inhalation after Twin Falls structure fire


Twin Falls firefighters responded to a structure on fire at the Colonial Apartments early Saturday morning. A kitchen fire in an apartment on the second floor trapped a man according to fire officials. The incident happened about 2:45 a.m. and crews were able to rescue him. The department's battalion fire chief said the man was taken to St. Luke's Magic Valley after suffering from smoke inhalation, he was then flown to Utah. The identify of the man was not released and at this time It's unknown the state of his condition. Magic Valley Paramedics and Twin Falls Police responded to the incident as well.
KMVT-TV 11 Twin Falls

Fire crews put out car on fire at Jerome Walmart


Jerome Fire Department firefighters put out a car that had flames coming from under the car’s hood at the Walmart in Jerome. Interim Fire Chief Mike Harrison said a passerby called firefighters at about noon for a car that was smoking. Firefighters found a fire burning in the engine compartment of a Nissan Sentra and knocked down the flames. Harrison said the owner of the car saw her car smoking before it died and pulled it into the store’s parking lot. It stopped smoking and she went inside, but then the passerby saw it later on. No one was injured.
KMVT-TV 11 Twin Falls







FREE QUICK SUBSCRIBE
Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe