Ammonia leak at Lexington business first detected by employees

  • Source: Lexington Herald-Leader (
  • Published: 06/12/2018 06:21 AM

Employees smelled an ammonia leak Monday at a Lexington business off Old Frankfort Pike and called firefighters for help, police said. 3M Ceradyne on Laco Drive also has alarms that go off when chemicals are detected, and the alarms worked properly, said plant manager Rob Hoffman and Maj. Rob Larkin, Lexington police special operations commander. Employees evacuated the affected building. Several fire department units, including hazardous materials specialists, responded. The leak was found and shut off and the building was ventilated, Larkin said. There were no injuries, Larkin said. Workers were expected to be able to return to work in the building later Monday.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe