Preston family in need after house fire

  • Source: WDEL
  • Published: 10/09/2018 12:00 AM

An early-October house fire in Preston, Maryland, left a home in ruins and killed three family pets. William Tarbutton was inside the home when the fire started. "That sounds like the smoke detector in the attic, because we do have a wood stove," said Tarbutton, who is completely blind. "I could hear crackling, like you were crumpling up newspaper, and I thought to myself--something must be on fire." What ensued was a blaze that consumed the home, with Tarbutton only able to get to a window to call for help. A motorist saw the billowing smoke and the man in the window and came to his aid. Luckily, Tarbutton was the only one of his family home, but was one of only two survivors as three family pets did not make it out alive. "I said I've got to get back in there," Tarbutton added when recalling talking to a friend who came over to help. "He said, 'William, if you could see the smoke coming from that window where I pulled you out--I don't know how you're alive.'"


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe