Michigan News
CHANGE STATE

Monday, November 29, 2021

Grand Rapids firefighters put out fire at multi-family home


Firefighters extinguished an overnight fire at a multi-family house on Jennette Avenue NW. No injuries were reported. The fire was reported just before 3 a.m. Friday, Nov. 26, on Jennette near Ninth Street. Firefighters found smoke coming from a second-floor window upon arrival. While firefighters attacked the fire, others searched for potential victims. Firefighters used ladders to reach the second floor and ventilate smoke. Fire Lt. William Smith said that none of the tenants were home when firefighters reached the scene. It is uncertain if they know about the fire. Utilities had to be shut off at the house.
Mlive.com

Michigan firefighters, environmental advocates push for safer foam


Michigan has disposed of more than 50,000 gallons of potentially harmful firefighting foam since 2019. Firefighters and environmental advocates say that isn’t enough. The foam targeted for removal contains PFAS, an abbreviation for perfluoroalkyl and polyfluoroalkyl substances, a group of manufactured chemicals used since the 1950s, but that scientists now link to harmful effects on people and the environment. Because of this, Michigan is working to limit their use. Exposure to modern fires means higher cancer risks, said Rep. Jeff Yaroch, R-Richmond. Consistent exposure to PFAS foam increases that risk. “When I was a firefighter, we weren’t aware this foam was that bad for us,” Yaroch said. “Now that we know, we need to take action.”
Detroit News

Community prays for families of 2 killed in Flint home explosion


Family, friends and community members held candles and prayed Sunday for the woman and child who died in a Flint home explosion last week. The explosion occurred around 9:30 p.m. Monday, Nov. 22, in the 3900 block of Hogarth Avenue, between Nedra and Walton avenues, on the city’s west side. A 4-year-old girl and a 55-year-old woman were killed in the explosion and fire that followed, authorities have said. Officials have not yet released the names of the victims. Candles were placed around photos of the two victims of the explosion as family, friends and loved ones embraced each other in the parking lot of St. Pius X Catholic Church at 3139 Hogarth Ave. on Sunday, Nov. 28. Seneca Barnes, the great aunt of the child who died, led a prayer Sunday. “Dear heavily Father, we are calling on you tonight and in every other moment ... we come as humbly as possible, begging you for strength,” Barnes said.
Mlive.com

Frenchtown eyes federal funds to buy two new ambulances


Frenchtown Charter Township is seeking $479,980 in federal funding to buy two new ambulances to replace two GMC vehicles that are each a dozen years old and running out of steam. The township has applied for a grant through Monroe County, which received $29.2 million from the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 to provide relief from the COVID-19 pandemic. The township’s request was filed in the category of “public health,” one of seven categories available. The request was among 91 received from local agencies, units of government and non-profit organizations seeking funds. The total amount of funding sought is significantly more than what is available. A 30-member appointed body will determine who is eligible for funding, but a decision may not be made until the end of the first quarter of 2022, said County Administrator Michael Bosanac.
Monroe Evening News

Ann Arbor firefighters troll Michigan State fans, report zero couch fires after Ohio State win


In the glow of Michigan’s rousing victory over OSU Saturday, Ann Arbor firefighters could not help but throw a few jabs at the Wolverines’ in-state rival. After the 42-27 win over the Buckeyes, firefighters responded to zero arson or couch fires, as well as no overturned cars, said the Ann Arbor Fire Department on Facebook. The report was a jesting reference to Spartan fans who set couches aflame and vandalized cars after a 37-33 victory over the Wolverines on Oct. 30. “THANK YOU to the outstanding Michigan Football fans who celebrated responsibly after the game and over night,” Ann Arbor fire officials said. “Awesome way to set the example for our younger siblings!”
Mlive.com


Wednesday, November 24, 2021

Police: Massive home explosion in Flint kills 2 people, including 4-year-old


VIDEO: A 55-year-old woman and a 4-year-old girl died in an explosion and fire that destroyed three homes in Michigan, damaged several others and sent debris falling onto a neighborhood, authorities said Tuesday. Three houses on Flint's west side were fully engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived at the scene after 9:30 p.m. Monday. Officials said around 20 houses sustained damage, including broken windows from debris thrown across an entire block by the explosion, which was felt miles away. Authorities said at a news conference Tuesday that they found the girl's body in the rubble of her home. Flint Fire Chief Raymond Barton said a Michigan State Police cadaver dog and fire crews with specialized equipment discovered her body.
WDIV-TV NBC 4 Detroit

Related: Flint fire chief explains investigation into deadly house explosion


Investigators have begun the difficult and painstaking task of sifting through the charred debris of a structure brought down by an explosion, then destroyed by flames. They're looking for enough evidence to determine what happened to the home in the 3900 block of Hogarth Avenue in Flint on Monday night. "The explosion, did it come from basement, which lets us know as a fuel to sit low. If the house has a basement, if it was from upstairs, a fuel that rolls. People like with heaters and stuff like that, so now you get the natural gas. You got to take all those type of different things under consideration," said Flint Fire Chief Raymond Barton. The investigators will use several tools to try to find out what, if any, fuels were used, such as a sniffer or cadaver dog. "They'll pick up the smell of accelerants or different things like that. That's going on," Barton said. Investigators will often look back at the smoke from a scene for answers.
WJRT-TV ABC 12 Flint

Raises proposed for Brown City firefighters


Substantial raises are being requested for Brown City Area Fire Dept. firefighters and officers. In Lapeer County, the fire department serves Burnside Township, and is often called to assist Burlington, Goodland and North Branch fire departments with major fires. Mayor Pro-Tem Christine Lee, the city’s representative to the Brown City Area Fire Authority Board, reported at the Nov. 8 council meeting said the fire board held its regular meeting on Nov. 2. Officers for the fire department were appointed by the board including: Fire Chief Justin Holsworth, Deputy Fire Chief Travis Blatt, Captain Ryan Hinman, Lieutenant Larry Workman, and Safety Officer James Schemanske. The 2021-2022 budget amendment was approved, and the auditor’s contract renewed for five years. Additionally, Holsworth requested substantial pay raises for the officers and firefighters.
Lapeer County Press

Man Found Dead In Burning Vehicle Outside Of Lenox Township Meijer Store


The Macomb County Sheriff’s Office is investigating after a man was found dead inside a burning vehicle following an explosion Friday in Lenox Township. Authorities say that at about 2:15 p.m on Nov. 19, deputies and the Lenox Township Fire Department responded to a vehicle on fire at the store on 26 Mile Road. After the fire was extinguished, the body of a White man was found “within the passenger compartment” of a white four-door Subaru Impreza, according to a press release. Investigators reviewing surveillance video in the area determined the vehicle entered the parking at about 1:45 p.m. that day, deputies say. An explosion happened at about 2:15 p.m., causing the vehicle to become engulfed in flames.
WWJ-TV CBS 62 Detroit

Fire severely damages Bronson home, no injuries reported


A fire in a two story home on U.S. 12 between the Bronson Theater and the U.S. Post Office in Bronson caused severe damage early Wednesday morning. Bronson Deputy Fire Chief Ken Stutzman says the fire at 214 East Chicago was reported at 1:17 a.m.. He says it started in a first floor bedroom and is thought to be electrical in nature. Stutzman says a woman in the home woke up when she felt the heat and smoke from the fire. She and two dogs managed to get to safety and no injuries were reported. Stutzman reports there were heavy flames in the lower part of the house when he arrived at the scene. Bronson firefighters got mutual aid from the Coldwater Fire Department. The fire was called under control at 2:27 a.m.. The Bronson Fire Department’s aerial truck was brought in just in cases the flames broke through the roof which did not take place.
WTVB-AM 1590 Coldwater







FREE QUICK SUBSCRIBE
Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe