On Wednesday morning at approximately 1:19 am the Willmar Fire Department responded to a house fire in the 3100 Block of 1st Ave. NW in Willmar. Upon arrival fire crews discovered that the duplex was fully engulfed. Fire officials were informed that all of the residents were able to exit the house safely. Due to the progression of the fire, firefighters were unable to enter the home immediately. The fire was under control in about 2 hours. Fire crews battled the blaze until about 5:15 am Wednesday Morning. The house and contents were a total loss. According to Willmar Fire Chief Frank Hanson no injuries were reported and the cause of the fire was determined to be a lit cigarette.
Assisting the Willmar Fire Department was Pennock Fire, Spicer Fire, Blomkest Fire, Kandiyohi Fire, CentraCare EMS and the Willmar Police Department