Montana News
CHANGE STATE

Friday, January 27, 2023

Snowmobiler injured after hitting tree southwest of West Yellowstone


A snowmobiler was taken to Bozeman Health Big Sky Medical Center after hitting a tree southwest of West Yellowstone, near Junction 16. Search and rescue volunteers responded to the injured snowmobiler along with Custer Gallatin National Forest Service, Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks and Hebgen Basin Rural Fire District. Coordinates to the snowmobiler were provided by a passing snowmobiler who stopped to help, and at the scene, volunteers packaged the injured party into a specialized enclosed Snowbulance before taking them to a waiting Hebgen Basin Rural Fire District ambulance. Gallatin County Sheriff Search and Rescue says the snowmobiler was taken to the Bozeman Health Big Sky Medical Center for further evaluation. “Sheriff Dan Springer would like to thank the passing snowmobiler for stopping to assist.
KTMF-TV ABC/FOX 23 Missoula

28 fentanyl overdoses, 8 deaths reported in Montana over 10 day period


State health officials are again warning residents about fentanyl after nearly 30 overdoses were reported in a 10-day time frame this past month. The Montana Department of Public Health and Human Services (DPHHS) reports 28 overdoses, including eight deaths, occurred between Jan. 11 and Jan. 21. Overdoses have been reported in 11 counties, including in Flathead, Lake, Missoula and Ravalli DPPHS is reporting the following information: The age range of patients was 19 and 66 years old, with most between the ages of 20 and 40 years old. Nineteen patients were male and seventeen were female. Many of the patients had a prior history of opioid or other substance misuse, and several reported smoking fentanyl prior to their overdose. Some patients required several doses of naloxone to reverse their overdose, with reports of 12 milligrams used for 4 individuals.
KPAX-TV CBS/CW+ 8 Missoula

Missoula County to distribute free carbon monoxide detectors


Missoula County and local fire departments and fire districts will give out free carbon monoxide detectors to raise awareness about the dangers of the odorless gas. Officials will distribute more than 160 detectors to rural parts of the country. Montana is third in the nation for carbon monoxide related deaths per capita. Officials said these deaths and illnesses are easily preventable with carbon monoxide detectors in the house. They also warn a common side affect of carbon monoxide poisoning is sleepiness. Missoula County released the following information: Missoula County, with the help of local fire districts and departments, is giving out free carbon monoxide detectors to raise awareness about the dangers of this colorless, odorless gas. Carbon monoxide (CO) can be emitted from furnaces, stoves and water heaters in homes, RVs and mobile homes.
KECI-TV NBC 13 Missoula


Thursday, January 26, 2023

Montana PBS to air historical smokejumper film ‘Higgins Ridge’


Smokejumpers who survived a “gobbler” of a wildfire in 1961 will recount their harrowing experience in an upcoming film on Montana PBS. “Higgins Ridge,” named for location of the fire in Idaho’s Selway Bitterroot Wilderness, will air Monday, Jan. 30, at 8 p.m. In the film, 12 of the 20 smokejumpers who jumped onto Higgins Ridge on Aug. 4, 1961, share the story of how the fire surrounded them, forcing them to shelter in place. About three hours later, helicopter pilot Rod Snider managed to land on the ridge in smoke and wind and shuttle the smokejumpers to safety. Snider, now 92 years old, is featured in the documentary along with many of his original photos taken in 1961. “This is a story that, for 60 years, never was shared beyond a few smokejumper circles,” producer Breanna McCabe said.
Daily Inter Lake

Crews called to apartment fire in Missoula


Fire crews in Missoula responded to a report of thick smoke in an apartment complex just before 3 p.m. on Wednesday afternoon. Flames broke out in an apartment located at 1935 Trail St., just north of South Third Street West. Three fire engines, an ambulance and a command unit were dispatched to the scene. The fire was contained to the kitchen where crews quickly extinguished the flames. A fire inspector said the tenants of the unit were not home at the time and the occupant's three pets were able to be safely evacuated. The upstairs tenants were also evacuated. The fire was ruled an accident. No injuries were reported, but some first responders were treated at the scene for smoke inhalation. In addition to the occupant of the impacted apartment, the occupant’s three pets were able to be safely evacuated along with the occupant of the second-floor apartment.
KECI-TV NBC 13 Missoula

Three Forks Volunteer Firefighters honored at annual banquet


Three Forks Volunteer Fire Department hosted its annual banquet earlier this month. New Firefighters sworn in at the meeting were Joshua Bingham, Daniel Roney, and Chase Moore. Awards were also handed out for responding to the most calls in 2022. Trevor Aune responded to the most calls, followed by Chief Keith Aune in second and Jason Kelsey in third. Firefighters were also awarded for their service to the community, which included Years of Service Awards. Charles Eastty was named Firefighter of the year, and Chase Moore was awarded Rookie of the Year. Keith Aune was recognized for having 30 years with the Department. John Whitesitt, Cheryl Carrasco, and Trevor Aune were all recognized for ten years. Pat Morey and Josh Williams received recognition for five years of service.
Three Forks Voice







FREE QUICK SUBSCRIBE
Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe