A fire inside a Yonkers high-rise has left around 200 residents unable to go back home on a rainy night, fire officials said.
The fire broke out around 6:30 p.m. in the basement of the building at 1841 Central Park Avenue, according to the Yonkers Fire Department.
Residents were quickly evacuated as the difficult two-alarm fire spread. Firefighters were still battling the flames nearly three hours later, fire officials said, adding that the fire was still not under control.
There were no injuries reported. The 200 residents who live in the building and can’t go back into their homes were set to spend the night at a nearby school, according to Yonkers fire officials. It was not immediately clear how the fire started. An investigation is ongoing.
WNBC-TV NBC New York
A 9-year-old girl suffered serious burns after accidentally setting herself on fire with a lighter at her Brooklyn school Wednesday, according to sources.
The girl was playing with a lighter she’d found in the third-floor bathroom at Excellence Girls Charter School in Bedford-Stuyvesant when her school uniform went up in flames around 2:30 p.m., sources said.
School officials called 911 after the victim began screaming, sources said.
She was taken to the burn center at NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell in Manhattan with second- and third-degree burns to 40% of her upper body.
The girl is currently in stable condition.
No one else was injured.
New York Post
The Watertown City Fire Department honored its members Wednesday.
A ceremony in honor of Fire Prevention Week was held in front of friends and family at the Emma Flower Taylor Fire Station.
A few years ago the department started handing out annual awards and pins for firefighters who performed honorable service throughout the year.
More than 25 members were given awards for such things as helping a mother in labor deliver a baby, saving people by using CPR, and for fighting a fire on Myrtle Avenue earlier this year that killed 4 people.
"This is recognition of individual effort and group effort," Chief Dale Herman said, "and letting the citizens know that they've got a top-notch fire department protecting and watching out for them."
WWNY-TV 7 Fox 28
The legacy of a beloved Gates firefighter will live on through a new foundation in his name.
Joe Manuse died last month from a bee sting. He was a 20-year volunteer and the department’s fire prevention officer.
The last several weeks have been tough for those who knew and loved Manuse.
“When he came in the door, everyone knew he was in the building and every time the door opens... I'm kind of waiting for it to be him and for this all to be a bad dream,” Gates Fire Chief Alan Bubel said. The firefighter, father and brother was stung by a bee at a family event in September. While lifesaving efforts started right away, Manuse died at the hospital a short time later.
"We are still in a bit of disbelief, but we are all doing well, moving forward, doing what my brother would want us to do,” Claudio Manuse, Joe’s brother, told News10NBC.
WHEC-TV NBC 10 Rochester
Following a public hearing that drew one speaker with praise for the Lee fire district’s proposed 2020 budget, the spending plan is expected to be approved without changes.
The town Board of Fire Commissioners “has not heard anything here” that would “incline us to change anything” in the budget proposal, board Chairman Patrick Hetherington said following the brief hearing Tuesday night at the Lee Center firehouse.
The board will consider budget adoption at its Nov. 4 meeting. Hetherington commented “unless something comes out of the woodwork” regarding modifications that may be needed, “we would move forward on this.” If some changes do surface, he noted he would “fully explain at the November meeting” for the public.
Rome Sentinel - Metered Site
The family of a young boy from New York who was diagnosed earlier this year with a rare and terminal brain cancer is asking members of the military, law enforcement, EMS and firefighting communities to send along “patches and prayers” as he continues his difficult battle.
John Francis Hoague-Rivette, 11, was diagnosed in May with a grade 3 Glioma tumor on his brain stem after experiencing months of mysterious symptoms, which began with difficulty walking, talking and eating and soon escalated into seizures-like episodes that would last for nearly an hour. John was first admitted to the Albany Medical Center in March where he underwent a series of scans. After a failed treatment for what doctors believed was an imbalance with his antibodies causing inflammation in the cerebellum, John’s health began to rapidly decline.
WNYW-TV FOX 5