A house fire on the 600 block of Newtown road killed a family’s dog and cat Tuesday morning.
Firefighters were dispatched at 10:13 a.m. for flames in the rear of the home that sits at the corner of Conestoga and Newtown roads. First-arriving police confirmed a working fire.
Nobody was home at the time of the fire.
“We were leaving and saw smoke and then fire,” said a neighbor who did not want to be identified. “We call the fire department. It is terrible.”
As firefighters advanced into the smoke-filled home to extinguish the blaze, they rescued a dog from the home.
Firefighters and police worked feverishly trying to revive the animal, giving it oxygen before they rushed it to a police car to take it to Radnor Veterinary Hospital, where it succumbed to the smoke.
As firefighters checked for extension ,they found the fire had gotten into the walls and vented through the roof. They cut open the roof to check for hidden fire.