VIDEO: Shelter-in-place orders have been lifted in affected communities in Beaver County following a chemical fire and chlorine gas leak incident that occurred Friday evening.
The incident happened at the old Beaver Alkali Products facility on New York Avenue in Rochester. Beaver County emergency services announced that the order was lifted around 1 p.m. Saturday. Fire crews say it is clear to go outside.
The leak was reported just before 9 p.m. Friday. Emergency officials urged residents within a 5-mile radius to shelter in place due to chlorine gas leaking into the air.
Crews officially brought the fire under control around 6:30 a.m. Saturday, and the first shelter in-place order was lifted. After the order was lifted, there were reports of a rekindle around 9:30 a.m. Fire officials said the incident was in a roll off dumpster at the same site near the previous fire, but not a rekindle.