A large fire ripped through apartments above a popular South Side bar, causing 13 people to lose their homes temporarily.
The flames broke out around 6:15 p.m. Monday in the 1100 block of East Carson Street. Investigators said flames could be seen out of the second and third floors above Jack’s Bar.
According to officials, the 13 residents have been displaced and are now receiving assistance from the American Red Cross. No one was hurt. Two firefighters were able to save a kitten from inside one of the apartments while crews worked to put out the fire.
Medics gave the kitten some oxygen before reuniting it with its owner.
It’s unclear how the fire started, but there appears to be no damage to the bar below. Jack’s is now closed temporarily, just one day after being able to reopen again.