A firefighter was injured and a family of three was left homeless Wednesday morning when flames ignited at a Nazareth duplex, a fire official said.
The fire broke out shortly after 7:15 a.m. at the home at 167-169 S. Whitfield St. Vigilance Hose Co. No. 1 Chief Jerry Johnson said no one was home at 167 S. Whitfield St., but a mother, her adult son and a younger son managed to escape from 169 S. Whitfield St. The occupied side of the duplex was where the fire originated, he said.
The son of the homeowner at 167 S. Whitfield St. arrived and rescued a cat, Johnson said.
The fire began somewhere in the ceiling between a second-floor bathroom and attic area, Johnson said. It took crews about 30 to 45 minutes to get the flames under control and another half hour to extinguish the blaze, he said.