A minor fire self-extinguished in a building on Touro Street on Sunday afternoon, according to Newport Fire Department Deputy Fire Chief David Murphy.
About 2:30 p.m., wires disconnected within the electrical system that runs from a telephone pole to 130 Touro St. and the insulation around the wires caught fire but quickly self-extinguished, Murphy said. There were no injuries reported.
Murphy said he believed there was one tenant in the building at the time who noticed electrical problems and contacted the Fire Department, he said.
The incident cut off power to 130 Touro St. and 5 Whitfield Place; National Grid representatives restored power to both buildings around 5:15 p.m., according to Bob Kierva, a spokesman with National Grid.
One Newport Fire Department engine responded to the fire initially. Murphy said another engine, a command vehicle, two ladders and two rescue vehicles were subsequently dispatched as a precaution though there were no flames.