Fire breaks out in Providence hotel

  • Source: WJAR-TV NBC 10 Providence
  • Published: 09/14/2021 12:00 AM

A fire broke out in a hotel in Providence Monday night. Firefighters responded to a dryer fire just before 6:30 p.m. at the Hilton on Atwells Avenue. Deputy Assistant Chief Kevin Jutras told NBC 10 News they were able to put out the fire in the basement laundry room in less than an hour. About 47 firefighters responded to the scene. Jutras said the smoke spread throughout the hotel via the laundry chute, making it to the upper floors and exit stairwells. A person on the 14th floor had smoke inhalation from the stairwell, said the deputy assistant chief. That person was treated on scene and didn't want to be taken to the hospital. Those staying at the hotel were asked to remain in their rooms. Justra said hatches were open to release the smoke from the stairwell.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe