South Carolina News
CHANGE STATE

Monday, November 29, 2021

2 injured after fire in Burton


An early morning fire has left two people seriously injured in Burton. According to the Burton Fire District, firefighters responded to a house in the 500 block of Joe Frazier Road in Burton just before 1 a.m. Saturday. Burton Fire Captain Dan Byrne tells WTOC when crews arrived, there was smoke and flames coming from inside a single wide mobile home, with 2 victims on the front lawn. Officials say the male victim sustained serious injuries and his fiancé sustained life-threatening injures. Burton Fire said someone pulled the woman out of her window and she woke up with difficulty breathing. Both were taken to the hospital.
WCSC-TV CBS 5 Charleston

Bullets put in toaster oven start fire in Greenwood assisted living facility room


Firefighters believe a fire started inside a room at an assisted living facility due to bullets put inside a toaster oven, police said. Greenwood police, firefighters and emergency services officials were called to Morningside Assisted Living facility around 9 p.m. Sunday for a fire alarm and reports of gunshots, officers said. Officers found a small fire inside a resident's room, according to police. One person was found unconscious, officers said. That person was taken to the hospital and treated for smoke inhalation, officers said. Police believe the fire started because the resident put several rounds of ammunition into a toaster oven. That caused the ammunition to discharge, making employees believe they heard gunshots, police said. Firefighters put out the fire quickly. No one else was hurt.
WYFF-TV NBC 4 Greenville

Charleston: Four displaced after fire sparks at West Ashley home


Four people have been displaced after a fire sparked at their West Ashley home Friday afternoon. Charleston and St. Andrews fire crews responded to the 1300 block of White Drive at around 2 p.m. Kendra Parson, the daughter of the homeowners, said they were talking inside the home when they noticed smoke in the front room. When her nephew went to his room, he saw a fire had sparked. The family then evacuated the home and asked neighbors to call 911. Parson said her parents have lived at that home for over 40 years, and the house is a total loss. “The house was, like as a kid, your playground, right, with so many different compartments,” Parson said. “You see stuff like this on TV, and you just don’t think it will happen to you. You’ll be like, ‘Oh, man, poor family,’ and now, it’s you, so it’s – we got time to make new memories, though.”
WCSC-TV CBS 5 Charleston

Horry County Fire Rescue looks to hire more people to keep up with growth


VIDEO: Horry County Fire Rescue just hired dozens of new employees — and now is looking to hire even more people to keep up with growth. Horry County Fire Rescue spokesperson Tony Casey said every station is seeing an increase of calls and they are in need of more people. Casey said so far, HCFR has had more than 67,000 calls, which is more than 2020’s record-breaking 63,000 calls. “It’s a busy organization,” Casey said. “A lot of people getting into this career are looking for that and we have it for them. We have parts of our county that are just constantly running calls.” Casey said areas like Aynor and Carolina Forest are growing and the department is staffing up where it’s needed. He said they’re able to hire more people due to the SAFER grant, which fully covers paying of a new fire class for three years.
WBTW-TV CBS 13 Florence

Richland and Kershaw County families seeking community’s help after home fires


One family in Richland County, and another family in Kershaw County are seeking assistance by the American Red Cross after their homes were damaged by fires Thursday. One family’s home is located in Watermark Place in Columbia, near Riverbanks Zoo and Garden off Greystone Boulevard, and after the fire they are in need of clothing, food, shelter, and referrals for resources. The American Red Cross says the family includes three people. The other family, according to the American Red Cross disaster-trained volunteers, includes two people in Camden who experienced a home fire on Lyttleton Street, near Camden High School Thursday afternoon. The American Red Cross also says the holiday season is a good time to prepare and brush up on fire safety. As the COVID-19 pandemic continues to impact communities, the American Red Cross says celebrations could be different this year, as well.
WIS-TV NBC/CW 10 Columbia


Wednesday, November 24, 2021

Firefighter injured in Columbia house fire


A firefighter was injured in a house fire on Wednesday. Columbia-Richland Fire Department responded to the fire in the 500 block of Saluda Avenue around 6 a.m. Crews got the fire under control, according to officials. A firefighter suffered a minor injury. No one else was hurt, according to fire officials. The fire was ruled an accident and was set by people who had been inside trying to keep warm, according to officials.
WIS-TV NBC 10 Columbia

Multiple agencies respond to restaurant fire in Cayce


Multiple agencies were at Red Lobster on Knox Abbot Drive on Wednesday morning after a fire broke out. The fire happened around 6:40 a.m. A manager at Red Lobster called the Cayce Fire Department and reported the fire, according to Cayce Department of Public Safety officials. WIS received reports that the road was completely closed and officials were re-routing traffic. The eastbound lanes of Knox Abbott Drive have reopened. Expect congestion until officials can completely clear the scene. The Assistant Fire Chief for Cayce Fire Department told WIS that the fire had been put out and that no injuries were reported. The cause of the fire is believed to be a faulty HVAC unit, according to officials. Both Lexington County and West Columbia Fire Department assisted at the scene.
WIS-TV NBC 10 Columbia

Marlboro County family loses home in fire


A family’s home on Hebron Church Road in the Clio area of Marlboro County was destroyed by a fire Tuesday afternoon, according to the Clio Rural Fire Dept. Officials said those who lived at the home managed to escape the fire. Firefighters reported on social media the fire “spread via strong wind to the tree lines surrounding the property.” The fire has been contained to a manageable level, officials said. Crews will monitor it throughout the night. The South Carolina Forestry Commission, Blenheim Volunteer Fire District, Bennettsville Fire Dept. and McColl Fire Dept. all helped battle the fire. No word on what sparked the fire.
WPDE-TV ABC 15 Florence

Follow-up: Sparks from construction caused North Myrtle Beach resort fire, officials say


Sparks from construction caused a fire at a North Myrtle Beach resort Sunday, according to officials. Workers were grinding metal as part of a renovation project when the sparks caused cardboard to catch fire, according to North Myrtle Beach spokesperson Pat Dowling. The fire started in a room on the third floor. The building’s sprinkler system activated, and fire damage was confined to the unit, according to Dowling. No one was injured.
WBTW-TV CBS 13 Florence

Reidville Fire Department offers Thanksgiving safety tips; prepares for holiday calls


Thanksgiving is now only days away and soon many families will be gathering to celebrate. The chances are, you may be inside of a kitchen at some point during Thanksgiving – preparing meals or enjoying company. Before you spice things up, officials are urging you to keep your safety in mind. “During the holidays, sometimes we have an uptick in calls and it can either be fire or medical related,” said Reidville Fire Department Chief Patrick Evatt. From fires to medical calls, Chief Evatt said he has seen it all in the Reidville area during the holidays. “Sometimes there’s lots of accidents from people having too much fun on the holidays,” said Evatt. “The biggest thing we do is we are here all the time and we are always ready. These guys train every day and they are ready to go.”
WSPA-TV CBS 7 Spartanburg







FREE QUICK SUBSCRIBE
Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe