After several fires and alarm calls over the weekend, the Spokane Valley Fire Department is urging residents to have home inspections and to make sure that carbon monoxide detectors, smoke detectors and sprinklers are all functional.
Monday morning, fire personnel battled a fire at Longhorn Barbeque on Argonne.
The Fire Department says the flames started when someone was trying to cook something behind the building, but soon climbed up the exterior into the attic. Luckily, sprinklers in the attic helped put out the flames.
“We are seeing an increase in these types of fires in the area,” said Spokane Valley Fire Department Fire Marshal, Greg Rogers. “We ask citizens if they see any illegal burning activity that they call and report it. As we go into warmer months, we want to make sure we keep our community safe from the dangers illegal burning can quickly cause.”