The large fire that broke out Saturday at a Puyallup cold storage facility was still smoldering more than a day after it started.
The 3-alarm commercial fire started Saturday around 5:20 a.m. and prompted evacuations in the area due to concerns of toxic fumes.
Residents in a one-mile radius of the facility were advised to shelter in place Sunday afternoon. The advisory was lifted around 7 p.m. overnight Saturday, but residents were asked to stay inside with their windows closed and their heating and air conditioning units off. The Department of Ecology responded to the scene to help monitor air quality in the area.
Central Pierce Fire & Rescue said hundreds of firefighters responded to the fire at Washington Cold Storage Inc., located at 240 15th Street SE, Saturday morning.