Wedding reception evacuated following carbon monoxide incident in Madison

  • Source: State Journal-Capital Times
  • Published: 08/08/2016 03:24 AM

More than two dozen people were taken to a hospital Saturday night when carbon monoxide poisoning forced the evacuation of a wedding reception on Madison’s East Side, according to the Madison Fire Department. Emergency personnel were called to the indoor soccer club Salon Centinela, 5018 Blazing Star Drive, after someone fainted during a wedding reception there, said Madison Fire Department spokeswoman Cynthia Schuster. Once inside, paramedics were approached by other guests concerned about an odor in the building and a generator that was running indoors to supply power to a live band. Others also said they weren’t feeling well. Firefighters entered the building with handheld air monitors, which immediately detected carbon monoxide near the entryway and ultimately peaked at 405 parts per million in the center of the building, Schuster said. Although the generator supplying power to the band was being moved outside, firefighters determined the building needed to be evacuated and ventilated. Firefighters used a microphone to shut down the band and calmly evacuated about 300 wedding guests. They also ventilated the building. A Madison Metro bus provided a medical staging area for the many wedding guests, ranging from young children to older adults, who were feeling ill. UW Hospital East set up a triage area to assist with the large number of patients.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe