A machine shop in the town of Lafayette was declared a total loss by a fire official after a Saturday morning fire. The shop at 16978 40th Ave. is owned by Jeff Lyberg, and is part of a salvage and recycling business, according to the Chippewa Fire District, which responded to the fire at 7:50 a.m. The fire was visible from County Highway P and 30th Avenue in the Village of Lake Hallie and was spotted by a Fire District ambulance returning from an assignment. The fire was burning quickly at the machine shop, and was difficult to fight due to flammable and combustible materials — including LP tanks, gasoline, oils and lubricants that were used for cutting operations and a several tires. All four stations of the Chippewa Fire District responded to the fire, as did the Cadott Fire Department under an automatic aid agreement to assist with the fire. Units stayed on the scene until 11 a.m.