Sun Prairie apartment complex evacuation caused by burnt food, officials say

  • Source: WISC-TV Channel Madison
  • Published: 12/07/2017 07:18 AM

A 12-unit apartment complex was evacuated early Thursday morning because of burnt food, officials said. Crews were called around 1:45 a.m. to the 600 block of Schiller Street for a report of a structure fire, according to a release. Firefighters found heavy smoke on the second floor, so they evacuated the building, officials said. Due to the cold temperatures, most of the occupants were taken to a temporary shelter. Firefighters found food burning on a stove top in a second floor apartment with its door open and no occupants, according to the release. The crew put out the fire and ventilated the building so residents could return to their units.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe