Child with lighter reportedly starts Racine house fire

  • Source: Racine Journal Times
  • Published: 02/11/2018 02:12 AM

A child playing with a lighter in a bedroom reportedly caused a house fire with an estimated loss of $20,000. According to a press release from the City of Racine Fire Department, firefighters and the Racine police were dispatched to the 1000 block of Mayfair Drive at 12:12 a.m. on Saturday to find smoke coming from the upstairs window of a unit in a duplex. According to the release, the fire was put out quickly, but the property sustained an estimated $20,000 in damage. No injuries were reported and the adjacent unit wasn’t damaged. One of the children told officials they’d seen another child start the fire with a lighter, according to the report. The five individuals living in the affected apartment told officials they’d stay with friends while repairs were underway.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe