Madison fire chief hopes two cooking fires in four days teaches others to stand by their stoves

  • Source: WMSN-TV Fox 47 Madison
  • Published: 11/20/2018 08:37 PM

VIDEO: Two unattended cooking fires in just four days has the Madison Fire Department sending out a warning ahead of the holiday season. On Wednesday, a tenant in an apartment complex on Brentwood Pkwy left a pan of oil heating on the stove. Fire Chief Steven Davis said when the woman returned to find a fire had started, she tried to put it out by throwing water on it. But oil and grease fires react violently with water, causing it to typically explode and flame up faster. When the woman opened the door to let air in, the oxygen fueled the fire even more. "In probably less than a minute the cabinets were on fire, and probably within 2-3 minutes the fire was extending out into the living area," said Davis.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe