La Crosse Fire Department warns to check, maintain dehumidifiers after weekend fire

  • Source: WKBT-TV CBS 8 La Crosse
  • Published: 11/27/2018 03:38 PM

A weekend fire has the La Crosse Fire Department warning people about dehumidifiers. Crews responded to a fire caused by a malfunctioning dehumidifier on Saturday. The device was in the home's basement when it caught fire. The Department says about 6-million of the appliances were recalled in recent years, particularly ones made between 2007 and 2014. "Some of them have a manufactured defect in them where the compressor's not shutting off and it begins to overheat. It can be because of a buildup of condensation and corrosion on the sensor unit that shuts it off,” said La Crosse Fire Department Assistant Chief of Fire Prevention Craig Snyder.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe