Lightning strike scorches phone system at condominiums on Madison's north side

  • Source: WISC-TV Channel Madison
  • Published: 10/31/2018 05:26 PM

A lightning strike at a condominium activated fire alarms, shut down elevators and caused the smell of burning wiring in a condominium complex on Madison's north side, according to a news release from the Fire Department. Officials said the lightning struck an electrical panel at the Cherokee Garden Condominiums. When firefighters arrived at the scene, they smelt burned electrical wires coming from the building at 58 Cherokee Circle. Firefighters found burn marks on an electrical box in the basement. That box was connected to telephone lines and officials believe the lightning may have traveled through the phone lines and scorched the system.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe