Madison firefighters rescue 1 person during fire at men's shelter

  • Source: WKOW-TV ABC 27 Madison
  • Published: 10/06/2021 10:15 AM

One person was rescued from a fire at a temporary men’s shelter Tuesday night, according to the Madison Fire Department. Firefighters responded to the blaze at 200 North First Street in Madison at about 10:12 p.m. The crew entered the building to investigate and found gray smoke in a room and a mattress inside that was on fire. One person needed to be rescued and was taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries. No one else was hurt. The fire was contained to the one room in which it began. MFD says the preliminary evidence suggests the fire was intentionally set. The Madison Police Department arrested 42-year-old Matthew Wendorf on a charge of arson and felony bail jumping. Authorities believe he initially tried to light a sock on fire and then a jacket. That turned into the mattress fire.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe