A controlled-burn of scrap materials at the River Valley Ranch mushroom farm, 39960 60th St., went wrong, catching plastic planting trays on fire an creating a smoke cloud large enough to be seen from Green Bay Road in Kenosha and from Lake Geneva in Walworth County Tuesday morning.
Cheri Petkus, a manager at River Valley Ranch & Kitchens, which sits across Highway 50 from the farm, said she noticed the fire and called 911.
“Luckily it was in the field and it seems like the barn was kept out of it,” she said. “As far as I know everyone is safe.”
Kenosha County Sheriff’s Department Sgt. David Wright said the initial call came at 7:56 a.m.