Madison Fire Department responds to carbon monoxide alarm at west side home

  • Source: WKOW-TV ABC 27 Madison
  • Published: 11/21/2022 07:47 PM

The Madison Fire Department (MFD) responded to carbon monoxide (CO) alarms sounding at a home on the city's west side early Saturday morning. MFD spokesperson Bernadette Galvez said the department and Madison Gas and Electric responded around 2 a.m. to Whitacre Road to a report of CO alarms going off. Fire crews arrived to find the residents of the two story, single-family home had already exited safely with no injuries. The residents told MFD when the alarms initially sounded, they silenced them. But the alarms went off again, so they called 911. According to Galvez, firefighters confirmed a resident shut the furnace off and then shut off the water heater. They also checked the outside vent, which was free of debris. Galvez reported CO readings in the mid 50’s on the first floor, 70’s on the second floor, and 78 in the basement. These readings dropped across the house after positive pressure fans were used to ventilate.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe