Squirrel may have contributed to solar panel fire at Madison home

  • Source: WISC-TV CBS/MyNetworkTV 3 Madison
  • Published: 04/17/2024 12:00 AM

Madison Fire Department officials said a squirrel may have played a role in a solar panel fire that occurred at a home Monday afternoon on the city's far east side. Crews were called to a home in the 7100 block of Littlemore Drive just before 2:45 p.m. Smoke and flames could be seen coming from a solar panel on the roof of the home. Crews shut off power to the panels as they quickly extinguished the flames. The fire was confined to the panel and some shingles, and officials said it didn't extend to the home. MG&E and the solar panel company responded to the scene. Officials said the fire was caused by the radiant heat of the panel. As crews were putting out the fire, they saw a squirrel run out from under one of the panels. Officials said the animal may have been a contributing factor with the fire.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and DailyDispatch.com. (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe