Alabama News
CHANGE STATE

Monday, January 27, 2020

Boat dock fire kills 8; 7 rescued in Scottsboro marina fire


VIDEO/PHOTOS: Eight people are confirmed dead after an overnight fire destroyed dozens of boats docked at Jackson County Park in Scottsboro, the authorities said. Fire Chief Gene Necklaus said at an 11:30 a.m. briefing that the names of the victims aren’t yet being released. Firefighters were called to the dock around 12:40 a.m. Seven people were rescued from the water and taken to a hospital for treatment. Scottsboro Fire Chief Gene Necklaus said they weren’t seriously injured. Most were suffering symptoms of hypothermia because of the cold water conditions. “This is absolutely devastating,” Necklaus said this morning. "In my experience, (it’s) one of the most devastating things I’ve ever seen. I think as we learn more details, that tragedy will continue to grow.”
AL.com Alabama News

Fire claims 2 in Autauga County


The State Fire Marshal’s Office has taken over an investigation after two people were killed in a house fire Friday night. A spokesperson with the Pine Level Volunteer Fire Department said the fire claimed the lives of an elderly couple. The Pine Level Volunteer Fire Department responded to a residential fire on Autauga County Road 64 around 9:54 p.m. Friday. A spokesperson with the department said by the time units arrived on the scene, the house was full of smoke. Units attempted to make a rescue but were too late, the spokesperson said. Foul play is not suspected. Other agencies in the Autauga County Sheriff’s Office, Autauga County Rescue Squad, Marbury, White City, and Old Kinston Fire Departments, also responded to the fire.
WSFA-TV NBC 12 Montgomery

Moore’s Mill firefighters get rare training in Huntsville


Sunday evening Moore's Mill Volunteer Firefighters trained to save you and your family from possible house fires. The department says a house was donated to be burned down on Winchester road in Huntsville and Sunday afternoon firefighters lit the home on fire and learned how to safely respond to it. Firefighters say the opportunity to train in a real home is rare. "The whole house can go from standing like it is to nothing on the ground in a matter of minutes," said firefighter, Tyler Bias. Moore's Mill Volunteer Firefighters say responding to house fires can be very dangerous. "There's always a fear-factor with it. You're going to be nervous. It's on fire. That's going to be anybody. You're crazy if you're not scared," said Bias. That's why they appreciate every chance they get to train.
WAAY-TV ABC 31 Huntsville

Tuscaloosa Fire Rescue: 2 workers trapped, injured at Bryant-Denny Stadium after beams fall on manlift


Two construction workers, helping in the renovation of Bryant-Denny Stadium, were injured Saturday when beams fell on a piece of equipment they were operating. Tuscaloosa Fire Rescue spokeswoman Holly Whigham told news outlets that the workers were operating a manlift that was struck when the beams fell at around 5 p.m. on Saturday. Both workers were trapped and had to be extricated by firefighters before being transported to DCH Regional Medical Center in Tuscaloosa, she said. The workers’ conditions weren’t known as of Saturday night. The stadium, which opened in 1929, is currently undergoing renovations. The first stage of the $92.5 million renovation project began in November.
Trussville Tribune

Grand Bay Fire Department asks for fee increase


Volunteer firefighters in Grand Bay are asking for help. They’re asking voters to approve an increase to their budget–it’s a budget that hasn’t seen any increase in nearly three decades. Whether it’s the aging air compressor to fill oxygen tanks, or this brush fire truck with leaky water storage, Grand Bay Fire Chief Grayling Christian says sometimes you forget about the fire department until the worst happens. “They don’t ever think about the fire department until they see a truck going down the road or they need the fire department,” said fire chief Grayling Christian. The chief says dealing with aging hardware and other issues has created some difficulties. “It puts a strain on firefighters when you’re trying to make sure your equipment is ready at all times,” said Christian.
WKRG-TV News 5 Mobile

2 adults, 2 children displaced following Huntsville house fire


VIDEO: A family in north Huntsville is without a home tonight after their house caught fire Saturday evening. Huntsville Fire and Rescue responded to the fire in the 2400 block of Mount Vernon Road, which is near Blue Spring Road, around 7:10 p.m. Huntsville Fire and Rescue said there were smoke and flames coming from the home when they arrived on the scene When they arrived there was smoke coming from the home and flames were visible. Captain Frank McKenzie said two adults and two children were displaced as a result of the fire. One of the adults was treated for smoke inhalation. Two dogs were also in the home during the fire, an adult dog and a puppy, and both were able to be rescued. McKenzie said they were both lifeless when they were pulled from the home, but they were able to be revived on the scene by firefighters.
WAAY-TV ABC 31 Huntsville


Friday, January 24, 2020

2 men found dead following Bessemer house fire identified


essemer Police and the Jefferson County Coroner’s Office have identified the two men who were found dead following a house fire. Birmingham police have identified as the men as 57-year-old Cedric Banard Spiller and 37-year-old James Gregory Schuman. Their bodies were found by Bessemer Fire and Rescue after they put out a house fire in the 2200 block of Dartmouth Avenue. It is believed Spiller lived at the residence. The fire was reported at 10:23 p.m. Wednesday by a neighbor. Both men were pronounced dead at 10:53 p.m. Authorities are working to determine a cause of death.
WBRC-TV

Three transported to UAB for injuries sustained in Moulton house fire


Two parents and their four-year-old child were transported to the burn center at the University of Alabama at Birmingham Hospital following a fire in their Moulton home Tuesday morning. A fire that broke out around 8:30 Tuesday morning woke the family of four living at 2086 Alabama Highway 36, Moulton Fire Chief Ryan Jolly said. “There were two children and two adults in the house,” he said. “They had to escape through a bedroom window. The dad sustained pretty significant cuts and smoke inhalation. The four-year-old boy had some pretty bad cuts and smoke inhalation, and the mother had smoke inhalation.” He said the smallest child, a one or two-year-old boy, did not sustain any injuries that required him to be transported to the hospital. Jolly said the family’s mobile home was deemed a total loss due to the smoke and heat damage it received. He said the State Fire Marshal’s Office was called to help investigate the cause of the fire.
Moulton Advertiser







FREE QUICK SUBSCRIBE
Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe