Arkansas News
CHANGE STATE

Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Trumann Fire Department gets lifesaving equipment


Region 8 is a farming community and emergency responders work to be prepared for any situation. A news release issued by Nationwide said they have awarded grain bin rescue tubes and training to 34 fire departments across the country, one of them the Trumann Fire Department. Trumann Assistant Fire Chief Richard Mabe said tools like this are about being prepared. “For us, we haven’t had many grain bin accidents,” Mabe said. “But it’s good to have something like this if you need it. It’s about being prepared.” Mabe said this won’t be used for the Trumann community alone. He said they’ll answer the call wherever they’re needed. “If needed, we can load ours up to go and help another community,” Mabe said. “We can be a part of mutual aide. Time is valuable when you’re dealing with an emergency.”
KAIT-TV ABC 8 Jonesboro

Fire at Clean Harbors in El Dorado forces brief evacuation


A small fire broke out at Clean Harbors yesterday, necessitating an evacuation of the South Arkansas Community College East Campus and a response from the El Dorado Fire Department. Phillip Retallick, Clean Harbors’ senior vice president for compliance and regulatory affairs, said the fire broke out spontaneously. “It was pyrophoric. In other words, it could burn spontaneously in air,” Retallick said. The Clean Harbors plant in El Dorado includes two incineration facilities, where industrial waste can be delivered for destruction. Sometimes that waste has to be transferred to smaller containers more suited for the facility’s kiln; for example, waste delivered in a 55-gallon drum may be transferred to a 30-gallon kiln ready container charge. Retallick said today’s fire happened during a routine repacking. Employees followed their typical process for repacking waste into the kiln ready container charges when one container of waste spontaneously ignited.
El Dorado News-Times


Monday, July 15, 2019

Families, pets rescued in Conway apartment fire


VIDEO: Several families are homeless after a fire damages their Conway apartment building along with most of their belongings. Firefighters believe the flames started in the attic of the apartment complex off Harkrider Street, near downtown Conway. Crews rescued people who were still sleeping along with several pets. Before the fire was even out, volunteers stepped in to help. “Imagine waking up and you can’t go back in your house,” said Bobby Kelly, Public Information Officer for the city. When the fire started Friday morning, Kelly initially went out for work but says his focus quickly shifted to the 17 adults and children who just lost their homes. “Not being able to get the image of that little girl out of my head,” said Kelly.
KARK-TV NBC 4 Little Rock

Searcy Fire Department Rescue Team on standby in case of flash flooding


VIDEO: With a flash flood warning issued for almost half the state, crews around Arkansas are on-call for any emergency people might find themselves in. The Searcy Fire Department is already beginning to prepare for the potential flooding. Light drizzles fell over Searcy for most of the day on Sunday afternoon as remnants of Barry slowly moved towards the city. Lieutenant Bryon Jones of the Searcy Fire Department said its Special Operations and Rescue Team trains about 5 months out of the year for these exact types of situations that Mother Nature brings Arkansas' way. "We're trying to be prepared at any time," he said. Jones said the Special Operations and Rescue Team specializes in four different types of rescues— one of those being swift water. "It's not uncommon for us to have that with the Little Red River here and other smaller bodies of water that we have flood," he said.
KTHV-TV CBS 11 Little Rock

Axe-throwing benefit aids family of fallen Springdale firefighter


VIDEO: Members of the Springdale community spent Sunday throwing axes for a cause. The Ozark Axe House hosted a fundraiser Sunday (July 14) for the family of Dean Loos, a Springdale firefighter and father of four who lost his life to suicide. Beth Garner, a friend of the family and a nurse, helped coordinate the event. "As a community we care about them and we are willing to help them out in any way that we can," she said. Garner and a few friends were on their way to the Axe House a few weeks ago when they canceled their plans after learning of their friend's death. Axe House co-owner Patrick Stuart told Garner that if they needed anything, to reach out to them. That's exactly what she did when she began planning a way to help the family.
KFSM-TV CBS 5 Fort Smith







FREE QUICK SUBSCRIBE
Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe