Massachusetts News
CHANGE STATE

Friday, September 25, 2020

Controlled burn of harmful materials in Chicopee caused evacuations, shelter-in-place orders


Residents who live on over 20 streets surrounding Summer Street in Chicopee were asked to evacuate or shelter in place while authorities conducted a controlled burn of “energetic material” found at a home Thursday. Evacuations and shelter-in-place orders were lifted late Thursday night after police and fire officials declared the area safe. Flames could be seen all throughout Chicopee as state and local police, along with fire officials safely burned the materials found at 24 Summer Street. In total, 12 homes were evacuated from the immediate area and the window and doors were boarded up to protect the houses from the fire. No injuries were reported and the “energetic material hs been removed. Two homes did, however, sustain minor fire and water damage to the outside.
WWLP-TV CW 22 Springfield

Springfield firefighters take part in early cancer detection training


Each and every day, firefighters are exposed to carcinogens that could potentially cause them to get ill. Firefighters have a greater chance and risk of developing cancer. That’s why early detection is important. On Thursday, the Springfield Fire Department participated in 1540 Connection’s early detection training, a national education and advocacy organization that teachers firefighters how to protect themselves. “In fact, between 2002 and 2016, 61 percent of line-of-duty deaths were caused by cancer,” said Heather Maykel, the first responder lead at 1540 Connection. Maykel told Western Mass News that cancer statistics surrounding fire fighters is alarming. “Forty percent of Americans, unfortunately, will receive a cancer diagnosis in their lifetime, so knowing how to detect cancer early is important for everybody, but firefighters have nine percent risk beyond that,”Maykel added.
WGGB-TV ABC 40 Springfield

Update: West Falmouth Village Association Asks For Staffing At Fire Station


The West Falmouth Village Association remains concerned about the lack of staffing at the West Falmouth fire station. Speaking at the Monday, September 21, Falmouth Select Board meeting, village association member Mary B. Ryther recognized Town Meeting members for asking the board to ensure the West Falmouth fire station remains staffed and open until a new fire station is constructed, open and staffed. “The residents of West Falmouth are grateful for the recent Town Meeting support of the West Falmouth fire station but continue to be concerned by the low number of days the station is actually staffed,” Ms. Ryther said. “By our count, the West Falmouth station has been partially or entirely unstaffed on 18 out of the first 21 days of September.” Before July 1, a single firefighter was stationed at the West Falmouth fire station daily.
The Falmouth Enterprise - Metered Site

Georgetown residents evacuated after construction crew ruptures gas main


Crews working on a road construction project in Georgetown struck a gas main, forcing evacuations in a neighborhood. The gas main ruptured at 7:30 a.m. in the area of Searle and Tenney streets. Michael Weaver said he woke up to the sound of sirens as police officers went door by door evacuating residents. “You could smell the air,” he said. “Had the gas in it, so we just shut our windows.” “We were worried about the property and any life safety issues,” said Groveland fire Chief Fred Mitchell. Utility crews were notified and arrived quickly on-scene. The leak was secured in about 90 minutes, which allowed residents to return home.
WCVB-TV ABC 5 Boston


Thursday, September 24, 2020

Blaze in Roxbury sends Boston firefighter to the hospital, leaves 4 adults and 2 children displaced


A blaze that erupted at a Roxbury home Thursday morning sent a Boston firefighter to the hospital and left six residents displaced, officials said. Firefighters responded to the blaze at 113 Harrishoff St. around 3 a.m. and found flames growing in the basement of the four-story, multi-family brick home, according to a series of tweets from the Boston Fire Department. “Quick action” was taken to keep the fire contained to the basement space, the department said. One firefighter was taken by Boston EMS to the hospital, according to the department. Authorities did not disclose the extent of the firefighter’s injuries. Officials from the Boston Office of Neighborhood Services were on scene to help the four adults and two children who were displaced by the fire, which caused an estimated $50,000 worth of damages, authorities said. The cause of the fire remains under investigation.
The Republican - MassLive

Historic West Bridgewater Home Destroyed In Fire


An historic home was destroyed by fire in West Bridgewater Wednesday night. Firefighters spent hours battling the large fire on East Center Street. Flames and smoke could be seen for miles pouring out of the home, which was more than 100 years old. Heather Spauer lives in the back of the house. She managed to escape with her three kids after something sparked in the carport. “All of a sudden my youngest said oh there is a spark,” Spauer said. “By the time we came out the flames were shooting up the whole house.” She doesn’t own the home, but she’s devastated for the owners, her close friends. “It’s a heartbreak for all of them,” she said. She fears the fire destroyed everything. Her family’s belongings, and the place she called home the past four years, while going through a tough battle. “I have cancer and they’re helping me out here,” Spauer said.
WBZ-TV CBS 4 Boston

2 Chatham firefighters test positive for COVID-19


Two firefighters tested positive for COVID-19 after the town conducted testing on 45 town employees, Director of Health and Natural Resources Robert Duncanson said in a statement Wednesday. The testing was done as a precaution after a seasonal resident and a Monomoy Regional School District student recently tested positive for the virus. Duncanson said that on Friday the Massachusetts Department of Public Health notified the town that a seasonal resident returning to Chatham from another state had tested positive and came into contact with relatives, including a fire department employee and a school district student, who was COVID-19 positive. On Monday, the town tested 26 fire department employees and two staffers at the Emergency Operations Center, as well as seven school staff members who had come into contact with the student.
Cape Cod Times - Metered Site

Chicopee police, fire raise funds for students, community


After banding together to raise money to help the city’s children, police and firefighters donated $5,000 to the Boys & Girls Club last week. The money is half of the about $10,000 the coalition has raised over the year by holding fundraising events together or individually, said Fire Lt. Katie Collins-Kalbaugh. “The members of the Chicopee Police and Fire departments have been so supportive of the Club and the community and we are grateful to be a recipient of 50% of the proceeds,” said Lynn Morrissette, marketing and development director for the Chicopee Boys & Girls Club. The club continues to operate at a scaled-back basis during the pandemic. It held a summer program, is starting before and after-school programs and restored some of the teen offerings all while following guidelines for social distancing and sanitizing.
The Republican - MassLive







FREE QUICK SUBSCRIBE
Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe