Nearly 100 people were reported to be in the area when a grass fire fed by fireworks started about 4:30 p.m. Sunday at the former quarry known as Lake Monroe.
Lt. Calvin Schmitt of the Monroe Township Fire Department said the fire was extinguished before any nearby buildings were damaged; but at one point the fire was close enough the home and garage at 6444 E. Dunbar Rd. for the property to be in danger.
Monroe Township firefighters were on scene for about an hour to control and extinguish the fire.
Schmitt said there were no injuries; and no suspects have been determined as to who had the fireworks.