'Camping and carbon monoxide aren't friends,' says Grand Rapids Fire Marshal

  • Source: WZZM-TV ABC 13 Grand Rapids
  • Published: 07/19/2021 12:42 PM

As authorities continue to investigate the deaths of four people at a three-day country music festival in southeastern Michigan, including three men found dead inside a travel trailer of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning, the Grand Rapids Fire Marshal is offering up some life-saving reminders. The deaths happened during the Faster Horses Festival at Michigan International Speedway, 80 miles west of Detroit. "This tragic incident is being investigated as a suspected carbon monoxide exposure from a generator located very near the travel trailer," Lenawee County Sheriff's office said on Twitter. News of the tragedy traveled fast, prompting a West Michigan fire marshal to to feel compelled to remind all campers of how to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning. "We would recommend that generators be located in an open area at least 20 feet away from other campers and tents," said Ric Dokter, Grand Rapids Fire Marshal.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and DailyDispatch.com. (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe