15-year-old girl dies in Mt. Morris Township fire at home without working smoke detectors

  • Source: MLive Media Group - Metered Site
  • Published: 06/30/2022 01:26 PM

Fire authorities said there were no working smoke detectors in a home that caught fire Wednesday, killing a 15-year-old girl who lived there. Mt. Morris Township Fire Chief Rick Johnson said Thursday, June 30, that fire crews received 911 calls about a working structure fire in the 3100 block of Linden Road at 9:56 p.m. Wednesday, June 29. When crews arrived at the scene, they found heavy smoke and flames, Johnson said. Upon an initial search of the home, firefighters found the girl in the basement. Officials believe she had died from smoke inhalation. No one else was in the home at the time of the fire. Johnson said a dryer inside the home is believed to be one of the possible sources of the fire. The Michigan State Police Fire Marshal is investigating the incident. No working smoke detectors were inside the home, Johnson said.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and DailyDispatch.com. (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe