As Bedford Township traces its formal history back to 1893 when its township hall opened, the largest township in Monroe County did not start creating a formal fire department until 1925. Thanks to Bedford Township Fire Lt. Philip S. Dale, whose history of the department was published in the Winter 2017 edition of “The Hook & Letter,” a fire newsletter publication.
Dale writes about how a Ford Model T chemical truck was purchased and restored in a garage known as the Elliott-Whitaker near what is today’s Bedford Fire Station No. 2 at 3445 W. Dean Road in Lambertville. It was hoped that the restoration of the truck would help the local American Legion post organize a fire brigade to serve Bedford Township and surrounding areas.